Apex is proud to present the:
- A young man or woman who is striving to better themselves
- An intern at Apex Steel Pipe, who is learning the dynamics of a business
Ex.) During my time as a Conehead at Apex Steel Pipe, being a college intern, I equipped myself with many helpful tools as a salesman, and learned how to market a service or product effectively.
“Wow, it’s hot in the pipe yard”
- Learned the vast apex inventory & system in its entirety in multiple locations
- Established a base level of steel pipe terminology
- Learned and practiced Apex’s pipe coating system to organize pipe
- Learned about the cooperational synergy between the office and the 5 different pipe yards
“Madness on the sales floor”
- Experienced what it is like in a business environment
- Learned how to interact with customers with business etiquette
- Learned office data flow
- Experienced the process of working up a steel pipe quote with an Apex salesmen
“You want me to make a sales call?!? Awhhhhhh”
- Learned how to properly execute a sales call
- Learned listening skills
- Trained in conversation
- Developed sales skills and knowledge
Learning Software Applications:
- Learned the Apex inventory software
- Learned to navigate company database
- Used in house software to record calling data, while incentivizing conehead competition
“Golf looks way easier on TV”
- Morning swing diagnosis with Apex golf pro Matt Paradeaux
- Practiced morning lesson after work at the driving range
- Improving skills for opportunity to build relationships through golf
- Check out the Pro’s Corner
“Apex has great customers”
- Set up and improve social media pages advertising Apex
- Set up Linkedin accounts for coneheads, so they can begin building their network
- Revised resumes
- Added customers to personalized groups within database
“Inside the head of a cone”
- Interns complete an initial Habit Finder assessment
- Followed by an hour-long debrief with Dave Blanchard defining personal strengths and challenges
- Group coaching zoom call lessons with dave concerning addressing the fear of a sales call rejection
- Commencement speech given by well respected Houstonian and businessman, Ned Torian
- Cones were placed on the heads of interns, by Ned Torian, to mark their completion all of the stages of coneship
1st Day Requirements:
- Required Books: The Greatest Salesman in the world, The E-myth, Business Made simple, Equanimity
- Required Movies: Coneheads, Top Gun, Miracle, Greatest Showman
Meet the (2021) Coneheads
Blake Rottino (Call sign – Tino) | firstname.lastname@example.org
Blake will be an incoming sophomore at Texas A&M University at College station. For this summer he is interning at Apex steel pipe, as a part of the “Conehead” internship program. Blake is an economics major and plans to minor in Business. He is interested in learning new skills as well as building business relationships this summer.
Victor White (Call sign – Vector) | email@example.com
Victor will be an incoming sophomore at Texas A&M at college station. Victor is interested in business and economics. While working as an intern for Apex Steel pipe, Victor is learning sales, marketing skills, networking, and the steel pipe industry.
Sarah Irwin (Call sign – Eagle) | firstname.lastname@example.org
Sarah will be attending Franklin University in Switzerland next fall. Sarah is interested in sales & marketing, along with building new connections with Apex. She is very excited to get to know the business world as an intern this summer.
Miles Kurtz (Call sign – Goose) | email@example.com
Miles will be starting his Junior year at Texas A&M this fall, and is currently Pursuing a degree in business. This Summer he has been working as a sales Intern for the “Coneheads” at Apex Steel Pipe and Piling.
Patrick Smith (Call sign – Smokey) | firstname.lastname@example.org
Patrick will be attending the University of Oklahoma next year, and will be studying business. Patrick is interested in sales, marketing, and he’s excited to meet new people through this opportunity with Apex.
Chase Coneley (Call sign – Bandit) | email@example.com
Chase will be attending the University of Texas next year and will be studying economics. Chase is interested in real estate development and building business relationships at Apex Steel Pipe.
Johnny Cooley (Call sign – Dragon) | firstname.lastname@example.org
Johnny is attending the University of Texas and is very excited to get to know the business world. As an intern this summer at Apex Steel Pipe, Johnny looks forward to building new business relationships.
Clayton Orms (Call sign – Ghost) | email@example.com
Clayton will be a senior at The University of Mississippi this year and is majoring in business and manufacturing. Clayton is ready to be in the real world and build business relations through experiences learned through his time at Mississippi.
Carson Irwin (Call sign – Iceman) | firstname.lastname@example.org
Carson will be a sophomore this fall at Texas A&M University. Over the summer he is interning at Apex Steel Pipe and has picked up an interest in the piling\construction business. Carson is interested in learning more about the business through real life experiences as well as building a professional business network.
Tripp Soriero (Call sign – Typhoon) | email@example.com
Tripp is going to be a sophomore at The University of Texas in Austin this fall. Tripp enjoys playing the guitar and is interested in building business relationships while gaining experience in the workforce.
Luke Flemming (Call sign – Laser) | firstname.lastname@example.org
Luke is an incoming sophomore at Texas A&M University, studying business. Luke is interested in developing real world skills and gaining work experience while in college.
Matthew McHenry (Call sign – Nighthawk) | email@example.com
Matthew will be a rising sophomore at the University of Arkansas in the fall. He will be studying at the Sam M. Walton School of Business and is currently working as an intern at Apex this summer. He is interested in building communication skills, as well as building his professional business relationships.