Apex is proud to present the:
- A young man or woman who is striving to better themselves
- An intern at Apex Steel Pipe, who is learning the dynamics of a business
Ex.) During my time as a Conehead at Apex Steel Pipe, being a college intern, I equipped myself with many helpful tools as a salesman, and learned how to market a service or product effectively.
“Wow, it’s hot in the pipe yard”
- Learned the vast apex inventory & system in its entirety in multiple locations
- Established a base level of steel pipe terminology
- Learned and practiced Apex’s pipe coating system to organize pipe
- Learned about the cooperational synergy between the office and the 5 different pipe yards
“Madness on the sales floor”
- Experienced what it is like in a business environment
- Learned how to interact with customers with business etiquette
- Learned office data flow
- Experienced the process of working up a steel pipe quote with an Apex salesmen
“You want me to make a sales call?!? Awhhhhhh”
- Learned how to properly execute a sales call
- Learned listening skills
- Trained in conversation
- Developed sales skills and knowledge
Learning Software Applications:
- Learned the Apex inventory software
- Learned to navigate company database
- Used in house software to record calling data, while incentivizing conehead competition
“Golf looks way easier on TV”
- Morning swing diagnosis with Apex golf pro Matt Paradeaux
- Practiced morning lesson after work at the driving range
- Improving skills for opportunity to build relationships through golf
- Check out the Pro’s Corner
“Apex has great customers”
- Set up and improve social media pages advertising Apex
- Set up Linkedin accounts for coneheads, so they can begin building their network
- Revised resumes
- Added customers to personalized groups within database
“Inside the head of a cone”
- Interns complete an initial Habit Finder assessment
- Followed by an hour-long debrief with Dave Blanchard defining personal strengths and challenges
- Group coaching zoom call lessons with dave concerning addressing the fear of a sales call rejection
- Commencement speech given by well respected Houstonian and businessman, Ned Torian
- Cones were placed on the heads of interns, by Ned Torian, to mark their completion all of the stages of coneship
1st Day Requirements:
- Required Books: The Greatest Salesman in the world, The E-myth, Business Made simple, Equanimity
- Required Movies: Coneheads, Top Gun, Miracle, Greatest Showman
Meet the (2022) Coneheads
Charlie Oliver (Call sign – 50-Cal)
Charlie Oliver has recently graduated from Memorial Highschool and will be attending Texas A&M University as a freshman in the fall. Charlie is studying construction science and is interested in the outdoors.
Connor Claypool (Call sign – Phoenix)
Connor will be a sophomore at The University of Texas this year. He is studying in the McCombs school of business and will be an intern for Apex for the summer. Connor is interested in marketing and sales and is looking to get real world experience in the business world.
Anson Moore (Call sign – EZ)
Anson will be an incoming junior at the University of Houston. Anson is interested in sales & marketing, along with building new connections in the business space. He is very excited to be a “Conehead” this summer at Apex Steel Pipe and Piling.
Blake Rottino (Call sign – Tino) | firstname.lastname@example.org
Blake will be an incoming junior at Texas A&M University at College station. Blake is an economics major and plans to minor in Business. Last summer, Blake learned new communication skills and built business relationships. Blake is furthering his education this Summer at Texas A&M University.
Victor White (Call sign – Vector) | email@example.com
Victor will be an incoming junior at Texas A&M at college station. Victor is interested in business and economics. While working as an intern for Apex Steel pipe last summer, Victor is learning sales, marketing skills, networking, and the steel pipe industry.
Sarah Irwin (Call sign – Eagle) | firstname.lastname@example.org
Sarah is interested in sales & marketing, along with building new professional relationships. She is very excited to work as a counselor at Camp Ozark this summer.
Miles Kurtz (Call sign – Goose) | email@example.com
Miles will be starting his senior year at Texas A&M this fall, and is currently Pursuing a degree in business. Last Summer he worked as a sales Intern for the “Coneheads” at Apex Steel Pipe and Piling.
Patrick Smith (Call sign – Smokey) | firstname.lastname@example.org
Patrick will be a sophomore at the University of Oklahoma next year, and will be studying business. Patrick is interested in sales, marketing, and he’s currently pursuing a degree in finance.
Chase Coneley (Call sign – Bandit) | email@example.com
Chase attends the University of Texas, where he’ll be a sophomore studying economics. Chase is interested in real estate development and building business relationships.
Johnny Cooley (Call sign – Dragon) | firstname.lastname@example.org
Johnny is attending the University of Texas and is very excited to get to know the business world. As an intern last summer at Apex Steel Pipe, Johnny enjoyed building new business relationships through Apex.
Clayton Orms (Call sign – Ghost) | email@example.com
Clayton graduated from The University of Mississippi and majored in Business and Manufacturing. Clayton now interns with BKD CPAs & Advisors. Clayton is looking forward to launching his career.
Carson Irwin (Call sign – Iceman) | firstname.lastname@example.org
Carson will be a junior this fall at Texas A&M University. Carson is studying construction science and has picked up an interest in the piling & construction business. Carson is interested in learning more about the business through real life experiences as well as building a professional business network.
Tripp Soriero (Call sign – Typhoon) | email@example.com
Tripp is going to be a junior at The University of Texas in Austin this fall. Tripp enjoys playing the guitar and is interested in building business relationships while gaining experience in the workforce.
Luke Flemming (Call sign – Laser) | firstname.lastname@example.org
Luke will be a junior at Texas A&M University, studying business management and pre-law. Luke is interested in developing real world skills and gaining work experience while in college.
Matthew McHenry (Call sign – Nighthawk) | email@example.com
Matthew will be a rising junior at the University of Arkansas in the fall. He is studying at the Sam M. Walton School of Business and is currently working as an intern at Apex this summer. He is interested in building communication skills, as well as building his professional business relationships.